Monday, May 24, 2010

Email from May 24, 2010

Hello everyone!

Omaha is more and more wonderful every day! EXCEPT, it's starting to be humid and disgusting. I'm not a fan... but I'm getting tan, so it's nice =).... I'm still amazed at how beautiful it is here, even in the ghetto!

neat things happening-
  • we've put Donnie on a non-smoking plan.... We're really excited, he needs this!
  • We started teaching Chad... he's a very sweet, kind-hearted person, who's mom just got baptized. He just struggles with the idea that he will happier if he gives up some of his favorite sins. He has such a desire to be good though.
  • I mowed my first lawn! Amazing, I know. pictures will be available shortly! ;)
  • We ran into Jeff Woodhouse and offered to help him mow his lawn the other day (because we're so good at it), and so while sister Brady mowed his lawn, I gave him a spiritual thought. We talked about Ether 12:27, and he so genuinly asked, "but what if I don't know what my weaknesses are?"... I told him to pray to know what heavenly father wants him to work on.
  • I've become BFFs with Elder Oaks' brother, President Oaks... He gave me gluten free advice. It was awesome.
  • I discovered that sometimes my companion sleep walks/talks. Lets just say I've been easily entertained by this! =) it usually results in her trying to convince me that she is NOT sleep walking. The other day, she was very concerned about our well being, and she climbed onto my bed to peer out the window and check to make sure we were safe! The next time, she sat up in her bed, and I asked her what she was doing and she said, solemnly, "I am just trying to figure out what comes next." She then laid back down and ignored me.
  • There's a lady that we teach sometimes, and we have been trying to turn her over to the elders, because she's a mom. Her name is Asha, and she called us the other day out of the blue, and told us that she had just gotten out of a really bad situation, and she knew that she needed to make some changes, and that she was ready to change. I was so happy that she called us. She told us she feels stronger when we're there. She was afraid to go to church because she thought people might look down on her for having kids from different dads. She was in tears over it, but we reassured her that Heavenly Father loves her, and they know that, and they will be welcoming her with open arms when she gets there. I love her so much! =)... she calls us her home-girls ;)
  • I have a new district leader... Elder Osmond. YUP, he's an Osmond! He's one of the Deaf one's kids. He's awesome! I told him about the time I saw Jimmy Osmond at church, and he pretended to think that was really awesome.
  • Ronelle is getting baptized on Saturday! =) When Bishop announced it in church, he threw up his hands and quietly said "yup, that's me!"... We were a little worried about it at first, because the whole thing happened so fast, and we didn't know if he realized what he committed to, but he does and he's amazing!
  • We have had a few awkward, as expected while working in the mores sketchy areas. A week ago, a drunk man asked me, "So... if god told you to marry someone like me, would you?".... Then yesterday, We were teaching a guy named Ladell, who we quickly realized only had intentions of marrying Sister Brady... she said... well, "If you have Faith, Repent, are Baptized and Endure to the end, then MAYBE... MAYBE... MAYBE...someday" I then reminded him that he promised to say the closing prayer, which I couldn't help but giggle through... and then we swiftly walked away, agreeing to send elders his way!
  • Recently we dropped Marcus and Dustin, who we thought had a lot of potential. The other day, sister Brady felt like we needed to stop by and see them, even though they are never home. So we knocked on their door, and they were HOME! They told us we could come back! We were so excited. Marcus had such potential, and we really had a hard time dropping them before, so we'll see how round 2 goes.
Well, That's about all I can think of at the moment! It's a wonderful life being a missionary. I love the mission so much. I feel so priviledged to be here. Heavenly Father is so mindful of me. I know that even thought I am still trying to be an effective teacher, that I have his help ALWAYS. I love the Gospel so much, and I am so grateful to be here! Thanks to all those who have made it possible for me to be here! I love you all!


Sister Bonelli

1 comment:

  1. ♥ reading these letters!! what great missionary opportunities you are having!! We are going to be in Omaha on the 29th and we are hoping to see our favorite Sis. Bonelli =]

    ps, thanks Elizabeth for posting these!!

    ReplyDelete