Sunday, August 29, 2010

August 23rd Email

I've been learning more spanish! I can now say "we are missionaries with the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. We have a message about Jesus Christ for the family. I don't speak much spanish, but we have missionaries that do speak spanish...." It's exciting.... maybe I'll get randomly called to be a spanish speaking sister! not likely though!
Well this week has been pretty insane! We got a call on Friday from President Kunz and he informed us that Sister Mortensen was going to be training a new sister who's visa didn't come through! Her name is Sister Ith, and she was supposed to be going to Taiwan next week, but she is now with us here in crazy GI! So, we're a trio now... and Sister Mortensen is a new mom =)... It's fun!
Some cool experiences since then.... We met with Darlene Gomez... She's amazing... She was a referral from a girl that sister Hall taught in Omaha, and we've been teaching her and her husband, denis, who happens to have been baptized in Guatemala! Anyway, we taught them the other day, and she told us about all sorts of experiences she's been through and we watched the Restoration DVD... She loved it! Anyway, we decided to do Pause, Ponder in Prayer with her. She prayed, and asked if Joseph Smith was a prophet, and when she opened her eyes, she was crying and she said she felt good! We comitted her to be baptized on 9/18! We're going to celebrate her birthday today after we email and stuff! =)
I had the best sunday of my life yesterday! I got to sing in sacrament meeting. I sang "I know that my redeemer lives" (the version dad used to do all the time)... Sister Mortensen has it memorized on the piano, so we got to do that. Anyway, afterwards, Brother Larry Adams, a member of the bishopric, someone I just absolutely love, got up and told a story about his wife. She is someone we visit every now and then to see what we can do for her... she's older and has a lot of back trouble. Anyway, one day we stopped by to pick something up from them, and we asked if she needed anything. She said, "well, the dining room table is in a position that makes it hard for me to get through to the door with my walker... maybe you can turn it the other direction, and the rug as well?"... So we did that and went on our way... Brother Adams told the congregation that when he got home that day, he walked in and saw the table just the way she wanted it, and remembered telling her he could do it alone, so he would need to call someone... So he walked in and was angry with her and told her she could have hurt herself. She then said, "the sisters did it. And afterward, they gave me a big hug, and told me how much they loved me, and it meant so much to me!"....Brother Adams then bore an incredible testimony, and then said "If anyone is hesitant about sharing the gospel with their friends, now is the time to do it. Take advantage of these sisters while we have them here!"... When he said that the spirit was so strong... It was intense. that was an incredible compliment he paid us. It was neat to feel the spirit that way. It wasn't just a good feeling we had... it was a presence.... SO COOL.
After that, we met with Tom Hornbacher... Our less-active, professional Gambler friend. He's amazing! Heavenly Father keeps dropping these spiritual feelings in his lap, and he just needs to give up his favorite sins so he can utilize them! He was able to go to the trail center the other day, and had an amazing tour by my lovely Sister Lawlor. He cried as he told us how powerful it was... I just love the trail center... It's a special place. I wish I could be there, but I know I'll go back, and I love GI! =)
We've been teaching a lot of people from Africa lately. Peter is awesome... He's Sudanese. He's one of the lost boys of Sudan, so he has a lot of anger and a lot of guilt. I just love him though. We randomly picked a less active from the ward roster yesterday and went to check on Thompson. We were just getting out of the car in a parking lot, when a sudanese man said "MISSIONARIES!"... It was Thompson walking back to his house. He found us instead! It was neat. Anyway, according to my companions he was amazing, but I was being distracted by his nephew, Tabu, who was probably under the influence, but asking me about the book of mormon. Eventually, sister Ith chimed in and started talking about Joseph Smith, and left me to do the first vision, so I started telling the story. about halfway through, Tabu started squinting his eyes and he appeared to be smiling... so when I got to "this is my beloved son, hear him" I began to chuckle uncontrollably.... Then he said, "SISTAH? My sistah's name is also sistah!".... apparently when he squinted, he was trying to read my nametag... It was awkward, and hilarious.... and the spirit was definitely not able to communicate with him at that time... but I think once he's sober, he will be wonderful to teach! Then, sister Ith had her first unwanted-hug-experience. Tabu grabbed us and hugged us and said "THehnk you foh helping meee!".... it was cute... and awkward. She looked at me, completely terrified, and I mouthed, "it's okay, it's okay..." So funny.
Anyway, Things are going amazingly right now! I think this is just the beginning of a lot of growing... I'm excited!
I love you all! keep me posted on life! =)
Sister Bonelli

No comments:

Post a Comment