Sunday, January 2, 2011

December 13th Email

It's been a fabulous week! Sister Stanger and I are together for a THIRD transfer! What a blessing! 3 transfers with one companion is generally unheard of in our mission! We're super excited, especially because we get to spend christmas together! Super fun! I've learned a few things these past few days. First of all, I've discovered that 5 degree weather feels the same as 17 degree weather... so I think I'll be okay! Also, I've learned that when I wear my Big down coat (or my "big-momma") I look like Jenny-annie-dots from cats. It's ridiculous. BUT, it keeps me warm, so I am grateful!
Some neat things have happened this past week! Gary has been getting ready for baptism, and He had to quit smoking by saturday in order to get baptized this coming saturday. Well... He didn't. He really struggled. But we were fasting, so we continued to fast and pray for him to at least keep from being discouraged. We were bummed, but Still trying to be positive. He went to church yesterday, and we were in sunday school. Someone went off on a random tangent about repentance, and it was exactly what he needed. I was sitting next to him and looked over and he had tears running down his face. After class I asked him if he was alright, and he said "I really messed things up yesterday with my smoking." I reminded him of the lesson we had just had, and that he just need keep working at it. We went back to teach him later that day, and we based the lesson on his experience in Sunday school. We told him that he was feeling remorse, and that he needed to run with it, and keep trying harder and quit. He then told us that that was what he was trying to do. We asked him what he was doing, and he said he hadn't had a cigarette since 6 a.m. that morning, and we were teaching him at 4:30. We were ECSTATIC! He's never made it that far before. We are so excited for him. We know he can do it!
Last week before transfers we had an appointment with a girl named Layla. She is a turn over from the Skyline sisters. She is amazing, but feels more comfortable with them, and hasn't wanted to meet with us, so we planned a lesson with both sets of missionaries. Sister Myers got sick, and didn't want to go in, because Layla is pregnant, so one of us had to stay in the car with her. Sister Stanger and I knew that whoever went into the lesson had to be the right one, and whoever would be staying in the area, because Layla needed to feel comfortable. before the other sisters got there, we said a prayer. We had decided that I would go in, but when we asked heavenly father if that was right, we both instantly felt like Sister Stanger needed to go in. I immediately jumped to conclusions and thought that I was being transfered, so I was sad. BUT, I knew it was right, so she went in. I got to know sister Myers pretty well, and she's a neat girl, so that was good for me. As for the lesson, we still don't know why sister stanger needed to go in, because we're both still in Ralston, but at least I was able to get to know Sister Myers....
The day of transfers, Sister Kunz invited the members of the Leaf-raking crew over lunch, and we got to eat leftover taco-nachos from the welcome dinner for the new missionaries that came in. That was lots of fun! It gave me a chance to say goodbye to some of my favorite missionaries who were going home (sister Lasalosi and sister Bleazard)... President went off on a tangent about how everyone needs to stop worrying so much about transfers and stop making transfer predictions. I chuckled, but also felt mildly guilty! haha.
We had a neat family come into the trail center the other day to perform at gingerbread. They were a huge family and they all played like 20 instruments. They were tons of fun. I secretly wish that I will have a nerdy musical vontrappe family someday! =)
Well, I am just continuing to love it here! More and more each day! I love you all, please have a fabulous christmas! Remember what it's all about! love you!
SISTER BONELLI

No comments:

Post a Comment