Sunday, January 2, 2011

September 13th Email

Hi Family!
Well this week has been pretty great! The theme for this week is "Everyone's related week!" So, we found out that Bambi Smith, who we used to teach, is related to Randi Mendez, who's door we knocked on, but haven't taught, who is related to to Brother Guerrero, who we live with, who is related to Toni and Noe Mendez, 2 recent converts in the ward. SO, small world! =) It's interesting how it all came to be. We were at the hospital, visiting a lady who stopped in to Grand Island to be treated at St. Francis hospital. After visiting her, we were walking past the little waiting room for families, and saw brother Guerrero. He was visiting his sister, who was dying. We walked in and said hello, and saw a man sitting near him, who said, "I think I know you." I realized it was Randi Mendez's husband, who we met a few weeks ago while looking for Randi. So, we figured out that Brother G was his uncle and it was super crazy. We prayed with them and gave them a book of mormon, and then left. The next day we were teaching Toni and Noe Mendez, who mentioned that Noe's aunt was dying, and we figured out that they were related too. Brother Guerrero has since told us that she did pass away, so we left a card on Randi's porch. THEN, we randomly stopped by Bambi's yesterday, just to see if we could catch her, and she mentioned that her sister's mother-in-law had just passed away, and we figured out that Bambi is RANDI'S sister. So, it's interesting. I'm still trying to figure out why all of these people are suddenly in my path. It's kind of cool. Also in this process we have met others who we shouldn't have met, but met in the process of visting all of these people. So I guess it could technically be called "Serendipity week."...
We saw Ann Johnson the other day! I just love her. We asked her about baptism. She said She feels SO much better about it. She has had many obstacles getting to church, but she said that after this sunday she would probably be ready to set a date.... Well, she didn't come to church, so we have to figure out why that is. But the fact that she herself said that, and we didn't even get a chance to try to set a date is AMAZING. I'm just thankful that she gets to talk to sister Hall on the phone now! =)
We're teaching a lady named Kathleen right now. She's kind of a hippy. She's very into energy and spiritual vs religious. She fully believes in the restoration, but she doesn't think there's just one prophet. She thinks that we should pick out the good things out of religions and ignore the bad things. She attends a church now that welcomes all religions, which is cool, but she doesn't quite grasp the whole authority thing. So, we're working on that. I get kind of nervous teaching her, because she's kind of intense. lol. Anyway, I think she's really neat. She's been through all walks of life. We'll see what happens! =)
I had a pretty cool experience the other day. Needless to say it was an AWFUL day. I was grumpy, I lashed out at one of my companions and I felt guilty, even after I apologized, and everything for the rest of the day just kept going wrong. It's interesting how little things drive the spirit away. It was lame. Anyway, I kept praying and praying for the spirit to just come back, because I definitely wasn't feeling it, and I knew I needed it. Anyway, 9:00 p.m. came around and I still felt pretty cranky and spirit-less. All of us at that point were in pretty lousy moods. After planning for the next day, sister Mortensen and I were both sprawled out on the floor like vegetables. I'm sure from an outsider's perspective it was probably funny, but at the time it wasn't. Sister Mortensen asked me to give her a tour of the trail center. I'm thinking, "What? we're like 2 hours away, that's ridiculous." But I knew it would make her feel better, so I said, "Let's head over to the memorial room. Now, look out that window to the left. What do you see?"
"The Temple."
"How do you feel when you are at the Temple, Sister?"
"Peaceful."
"Why do you feel Peaceful?"
"Because I know God loves me."
At that Moment we both were just overwhelmed by the spirit. I'm not sure why, but somehow during that little mock tour, we both were reassured that Heavenly Father truly loves us so much. I'm just so thankful for that. I have never had a side-by-side experience like that, where I distinctly knew how it felt to not have the spirit, and then was filled with it. I've been feeling it ever since! It's the best! =)
As for right now, I'm loving life. I'm a little nervous to see how transfers turn out, but ready to take on whatever Heavenly Father has to offer me. Sister Mortensen's favorite scripture is 1 Nephi 11:17. It basically says that I don't know everything, I don't know why certain things happen, but I do know that Heavenly Father loves his children. I just love that. Wish me luck and pray for me!
MUAH!
Sister Bonelli

No comments:

Post a Comment