Sunday, January 2, 2011

October 12th Email

Dear family and friends,
I have had a pretty lovely week! Things are really looking upward right now in Ralston... We're slowly, but surely on the road to where we'll have some progress! =) Also, The trees in Nebraska that I love so much are starting to change colors.... I have never seen such pretty trees. When they're all red and gold I will send pictures! =) The weather is super indecisive. It's pretty moderate, so it's not COLD yet, but it's mostly just a little chilly. Yesterday, however, it was hot. I feel like I'm in CA still.
I had a really neat experience in the trail center on Saturday. I had been struggling a bit with my tours. After a while, especially in the slow season, tours start to get a little repetitive, and you get a bit discouraged because it's hard to keep up your energy on slow days. But this time I was determined to just DO. I wanted to touch someone really badly. Three men came in. Philip, from England, Marcin, from Poland, and Rob, originally from Omaha, but staying in Poland. They were all in town for some big conference for Ambassadors or something or other. Anyway, they knew very little about the pioneers, but Rob wanted to introduce them to the history of his hometown. I put them in the 15 minute film, and went to a quiet spot to pray before hand. I asked Heavenly Father to let me know what they needed to hear so that they would be able to feel the spirit while they were there. So, I went and got them from the theater, and took them on tour. We bonded right away. We had lots of fun together! At the very beginning of the tour, we went in the Nauvoo room. I was explaining the history of Nauvoo and how they had to leave. In a glass case, we have a Book of Mormon, a Bible and a Hymn book that were all owned by saints who crossed the plains. I felt like they needed to know about the book of mormon, so I explained it to them. After I introduced it, Philip asked, "What sorts of things are in the contents of the book?" I had already explained that it's another testament of Christ, but this time, I decided to share a scripture with him. I opened up to Alma 7:11, which talks about the atonement. After I read it, He said how powerful he thought it was. During the whole tour, they all, especially philip, were in awe at the things that the pioneers went through for what they believed in. They were also intrigued by the doctrine, especially temples. When we were in the memorial room, I showed them the view of the temple, and talked about eternal families. There is a painting in the room of Christ appearing to Mary Magdalene, and next to it is a plaque that talks about eternal life. Philip read it, and asked, "So what does this mean for Mormons?" I told him that if we keep the commandments and make the covenants in the temple, we can not only live with our families, we can live with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. Again, he was amazed. Eventually, we approached the end of the tour. Before we reached Salt Lake, Philp said, "I didn't expect this. This museum is really amazing." I told him that it was a special place, and that the spirit was really strong just then. In the end, we stood by the Salt Lake Temple Replica, and I bore my testimony. I told them how important this story was and that I knew the things I told them were true. I said, "I urge you all to learn more about this, and have missionaries come and teach you." All three of them referred themselves. THAT NEVER HAPPENS. I then gave them all copies of the Book of Mormon, and left Moroni 10. I gave them my address and told them to write me when they knew it was true. They chuckled, but I know they will. It was an incredibly powerful tour. I felt so close to the spirit. I know that the things they learned will change their lives. AMAZING.
We have a new investigator, Rachelle. She's a member Referral. Sister Jackson from the ward, had us over for dinner and invited rachelle. At the end of dinner, she very boldly told her she needed to take the lessons from us. She basically taught all of the lessons in about 10 minutes. Sister Stanger and I kept looking at each other, both out of excitement, and also wondering what we should do. We of course just bore testimony of what she said... it was funny. So, now we're teaching Rachelle, who is pretending to hate us. But she comes to church and meets with us, and secretly felt bad when she had to cancel last night. It's all really awesome! =)
I'm having a blast! I love you all, keep me posted on life! =)
Sister B

No comments:

Post a Comment