Sunday, January 2, 2011

December 7th Email

Dear family and friends!
It's been a great week! COLD, but great. We have been in the "teens" for most of the week, so it's been really great. We had a great day at church on Sunday! Getting people to come to church is almost harder than getting people baptized. They want to get baptized, but they don't want to make time for church, and it's just frustrating! On Sunday, we had plans for all of these people to come, got rides for them and everything. There is a cute family we have been teaching, Freddy and Itzel, and they are AWESOME, and we found them a ride. We were sitting and waiting for them to come, and Their ride walked in without them, and we were bummed. BUT THEN, halfway through testimony meeting, Freddy walked in and we were so excited! Also, Gary and RACHELLE were there. We were in missionary heaven!
We had a bit of a downer. We had this great mission-wide fast last week so that we could find more families to teach, and more people. We had found some great families and i know it was because of the fast! We went back to teach this cute couple the other day, and the husband opened the door, and said, "oh, I was going to give you your book back.".... he tried to give it back, and Sister Stanger told him to keep it, and he kept saying he didn't want to waste it, and she refused to keep it... so he kept it, but they dropped us. I was REALLY sad. I was just frustrated I guess, because I was kind of feeling like I wasn't the right missionary for anyone in Ralston. We have found tons of referrals for the Spanish Elders who happen to be super prepared, and we find all the time, and I was just feeling like maybe I wasn't a good enough missionary to be lead to the people who are ready. So, I pouted internally for a little bit. Later that night, we went to an appointment with a lady named Amber, who I thought was just too afraid to say no to us. We went, and she was all ready for us, and told us she went to church when she was younger, but never really grasped it, but wanted to know more! Her husband Brian was there too, and is very interested! It was such a little tender mercy. I was grateful for that. There really is opposition in all things. You just have to look for the good side ;)
The trail center has been really busy because of Gingerbread. We have had lots of big school tours. Yesterday I got to take a group of 15 preschoolers. They were just the cutest! By the end, there were 2 little girls who kept fighting over me and calling me Mommy.... I repeatedly told them that we were all friends and didn't need to fight. After they watched the 15 minute movie, I walked in and 3 of them had completely fallen asleep. When they were getting ready to leave a little boy with dread locks came up to me and hugged me... and THEN, they were all trying to get on my lap.... THAT is not allowed in missionary world, so I had to stand up. The teachers were really sweet, but not super helpful. Aside from that, they were the cutest tour ever.
We took gary on a tour of the trail center last week. Sister Kunz was so sweet and drove us all there. She Also had sister Stanger and I over that morning for companion study! That was fun. I learned a lot. Gary loved the trail center. It was interesting though, because he decided he wasn't ready to fully make the commitment to be baptized. We have taught him lots since then, and we reset him for 12/18. He's just great.
Well, I am loving life right now!---aside from the cold! It's such a blessing to be here. Transfers are this week, and I have no idea what is happening to me. 3 sisters are going home, so there will be lots of changes but I have no idea what!

I'm starting to be a little Naive. Twice this week not once but TWICE I assumed that someone in the trail center was mormon, and asked "what ward are you in?" and got a "ward?" or "What?" in response. Super awkward! The second time I played it off well and responded with " what part of Omaha are you from?" ... super awkward! Sister Stranger laughed at me for both of them!

I love you all! keep me posted on your lives! MUAH
Sister B

No comments:

Post a Comment