Sunday, January 2, 2011

November 8th Email

So, I've learned a lot in this past week. I've truly learned the importance of perseverence. Throughout my life, I've always been somewhat of a "giver-upper." If I'm not good at something, or if things just aren't going the way I'd like them to, I generally try to take the easy way out. Being a missionary, doesn't really allow for that kind of action. You have an entire area of people who's knowledge of the gospel is dependent upon YOU. For that reason, I've really tried to hold myself accountable for those things, and done my best not to let my fear of failure get in the way, even when I'm discouraged. These past 8 weeks in Ralston-Lavista have really opened my eyes as to what the Lord can do if we are patient. Any time any of my other areas have been in a slump, it's lasted maybe 2 weeks, and things began to pick up again. Ralston has not been that way. I've really had to keep working and working, and not allow myself to get discouraged. But after weeks and weeks of tracting, and praying, wiping the investigator slate clean multiple times, all with few results, we are FINALLY seeing an incredible amount of blessings. Last week was full of miracles. We have a bagillion new investigators, and we're teaching so much, and we have another person set for baptism! His name is Gary Obrien. He's a sweet old man. We met him on the street while we were walking. We went back to find him one day, and he was standing outside, and so we taught him right there. During the 1st Vision he said he felt very warm and peaceful. It was neat. So we set up a return appointment with him. We went back for the appointment, but couldn't find his address. We thought he gave us a fake address, and we were bummed. I kind of felt like maybe we were looking in the wrong place but I wasn't sure. Ralston is known as the land of apartment complexes, that all have the same little street names. It's highly annoying. So one night we were near his place, and decided to see if we could find it again, and we did! He didn't give us a fake address! So, we were very excited, and he was excited that we found him, and we've been teaching him ever since! He's getting baptized on 12/4! We've also been able to find many more people to teach, and it's just been so great! I'm so happy. Mainly, I've really learned the importance of enduring to the end. We just CAN'T give up. Heavenly Father truly takes care of what we can't. If we do EVERYTHING in our power to accomplish what we need to, he will allow us to see blessings. They may not be what we want, but they will be there. So, When I go home in August, I am going to need all of you to remind me of this email when I'm looking for a job, or when I'm tired of being in school, or whatever I am doing. I have really gained a testimony of this and I am so thankful! =)
Quote of the week
"Patience is not resignation. nor is it failing to act because of our fears. patience means actively waiting and enduring. it means staying with something and doing all that we can-- working, hoping, excersising faith, bearing hardships with fortitude, even when the desires of our hearts are delayed. patience is not simply enduring; it is enduring well!"- Dieter F. Uchdorf
I love you all. Thank you for your examples. Keep in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment